Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I am, therefore God exists. IV


Nicole Page-Smith, Balthazar's Dream series, 2003,
Dunedin studio, 2005







The love affair with Europe continued and I have now travelled there several times, even winning an 'around-the-world' trip from the supermarket in 2006, going to Athens and Delphi, among other places. The first trip was in 2004, I arrived in Rome and just felt like I was home at long last. I had seven museums and several churches to visit in four days because of my study project and loved the place. Then to Naples for an incredible Caravaggio show at the Capodimonte Museum, The National Archeological Museum and the Museo Cappella Sansevero. Florence was the sculptural highlight with the Bargello and Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Donatello, Settignano, Luca della Robbia, I felt like I was in Heaven. Bologna for Niccolo dell'Arca's Lamentation and Venice, such a wonderful city.








Saint Cecilia, Stefano Maderno, 1599, 
Basilica di Santa Cecelia in Trastevere, Rome








Il Cristo Velato, 1753, Giuseppe Sanmartino,
Museo Cappella Sansevero, Naples








Donatello/Desiderio da Settignano, 
Martelli Saint John, ca. 1440-1457,
Museo Nazionale del Bargello, Florence









Niccolo dell'Arca, Lamentation (detail), c. 1485,
Church of Santa Maria della Vita, Bologna










Nicole Page-Smith, Untitled, 2004-2005