Sunday, May 6, 2012

I am, therefore God exists. II


Nicole Page-Smith, Karyn Lovegrove Gallery, 1993,
Melbourne, Australia





After Art-school, I carried on my research to include the whole history of sculpture. I started with Ancient Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Etruscan sculpture, reading literature including Aeschylus, Sophocles, Plutarch, Homer, Virgil, then Dante and Milton. My research continued to include Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque sculpture. I remember applying for the Cite residency in Paris, saying I wanted to visit the Louvre to see the Borghese Collection but of course the Arts funding body, The Australia Council, were about as far away from my head-space as the depth of the ocean.







Sleeping Hermaphroditus, Roman copy of the 2nd century CE 
after a Hellenistic original of the the 2nd century BC and 
Old Centaur teased by Eros, Roman copy (1st-2nd centuries AD)
of a Greek original of the 2nd century BC.
Musee du Louvre, Paris








Candida Hofer, Musee du Louvre Paris, X and VII, 2005









Pierre Jahan, La Victorie de Samothrace, Musee du Louvre, 1945









Nicole Page-Smith, Karyn Lovegrove Gallery, 1993,
Melbourne, Australia